This beautiful and livable environment didn’t happen overnight. The history of Tipton Lakes goes back over two decades.
In the late 1960s, the business leaders of Columbus, Indiana, commissioned a housing study that determined that although there was a growing number of jobs in Bartholomew County, the growth of housing stock had not kept up.
As a result of the study, the J. Irwin Miller family purchased 1200 acres of land on the west side of Columbus to provide more quality housing for Columbus residents. This land was a combination of lush green pastures, beautiful hills, and natural valleys.
One of the first steps after the land was acquired was to identify the best natural views, the creeks, and the best areas for development. The master development plan for Tipton Lakes came out of this land study, which included three new lakes connected by two canals.
The land was extensively surveyed to locate the lakes and other amenities. Core drilling and engineering studies were done to ensure that the soil types were appropriate for the lakes, dams and other structures.
In the early 1980s, the Tipton Lakes development began in earnest. First, the bridge over Eastlake dam was constructed. Then, the three lakes were built. Next, Woodcrest Villas, Harrison Green, The LookOut Condominiums, Harrison Ridge Park, and Coles Cove were developed. Harrison Ridge Park homes, designed by Arthur Danielian, were some of the first zero-lot line homes built in Indiana.
Tipton Lake Company constructed the Tipton Lakes Athletic Club in 1984. This Club offers Tipton Lakes residents a nearby athletic club, and it is open to all residents of Columbus.
Continued development in the late 1980s included Shadow Bay, Mallard Point, Winterberry Place, Butternut Pond, and Timber Ridge. The second phase of Butternut Pond was the site of the first Home-A-Rama, a home show held in this area.
Tipton Lakes Company worked closely with the City of Columbus to create the three-acre Harrison Ridge City Park complete with areas for picnics, tennis, basketball, and playgrounds.
In the late 1980s, Tipton Lakes Company sold 18 acres of land to an Indianapolis apartment developer who built the first apartments in Tipton Lakes, Eastlake Woods Apartments.
The 1990s began with a second Home-A-Rama in Northlake Woods. Development continued with the creation of Blackhawk, Fontana, Oakbrook, Pintail Point, and Bittersweet Woods neighborhoods.
In 1992, Tipton Lakes was named one of the 99 Best Residential Communities in America.
In 1995, the first lots were sold in the exclusive waterfront community of Turtle Bay.
In 1996, construction for Westlake Park began. This area was designed by architect Robert Lamb Hart of New York, and the homes are being built by James A. Shoaf Construction.
In 1997, Tipton Lakes Company dedicated an office building and meeting space for the Community Association at the Marina. The Courtyard by Marriott was built near the Highway 46 entrance to Tipton Lakes. Also, a second medical office building was built across from the Tipton Lakes Athletic Club. This medical office building includes an internal medicine group and an outpatient lab for the hospital.
In 1998, Tipton Lakes Company sold 14 acres of land to a development group headed by David Kiel to develop Greystone and 11 acres of land just west of the Marina to develop the waterfront community of Pintail Landing.
In 1999, Tipton Lakes Company began construction of a second bridge over the west canal to complete Tipton Lakes Blvd. to Goeller Road. This important “link” opens the door for continued development into the new millennium. In 2000, the new bridge over westlake canal opens with an exciting community-wide party.
Since the first construction began in the early 1980s, just over 1000 families have made Tipton Lakes their home. Tipton Lakes is a vital and growing community with hundreds of acres still available for development.